2019 Volunteer Information Package
MEMBERSHIP AND DEPOSIT DUE WITH APPLICATION
Please note: Camping is NOT included for Volunteers. If you require camping, we are introducing discounted Volunteer Camping in 2019! Limited spaces available.
It is through the support of our members, volunteers and crew that the viability of our organization is sustained year by year. We can’t THANK YOU enough!
WHAT WE REQUIRE
- $15 Non-refundable 2019 KJES Membership. Pay online here: Membership
- If you are a first-time KJES volunteer, a refundable $200 deposit is required. See details below. Pay online here: 2019 Volunteer Deposit
- Completed Online Volunteer Application Form (see below)
- A minimum of 12 hours volunteering during the Kaslo Jazz Etc Festival
READ THIS: Your application will NOT be considered and you will not be assigned your volunteer shifts until payment of membership and deposit (if required) are received. By agreeing to volunteer for KJES you are agreeing to a minimum of twelve hours of work trade in exchange for a full weekend pass to the Kaslo Jazz Etc Festival. There are no refunds for the Volunteer Deposit BEFORE the festival. Cancelling or failure to complete Volunteer shifts will result in loss of deposit (if applicable) and you will not be eligible to volunteer for KJES in the future. NO EXCEPTIONS.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Volunteer Orientation Dinner Meet & Greet: Thursday, August 1st
- One (1) Weekend Pass to the festival
- One (1) Volunteer T-Shirt
- Volunteer Appreciation Pancake Breakfast: Monday, August 5th
- One (1) Jazzlo Burger voucher per shift (July 28 – Aug 6)
- Access to KJES discounted Volunteer Campground
CODE OF CONDUCT
All Volunteers and Staff must agree and adhere to the KJES Code Of Conduct before beginning their first Volunteer shift. The KJES Code of Conduct will be available to read and sign during the Volunteer Check-In / Orientation. The KJES Code Of Conduct highlights a Zero Tolerance policy for any harassment, prejudice, violence, drug or alcohol use / possession, and breaches of confidentiality. We expect everyone involved in KJES to Be Good Family. Any violation of the Code Of Conduct may result in disciplinary measures including removal from the festival site.
Kaslo Jazz Etc. Festival is excited to offer exclusive Volunteer Camping! The Volunteer Campground is on Arena Road at the Kaslo Riding Club and Arena. Here is everything you need to know about Volunteer Camping:
- LIMITED CAMPING AVAILABLE – PLEASE CARPOOL!
- Volunteer Camping is Will-Call Only. You will not be sent tickets. See below for details.
- Volunteer Camping is ONLY available at The Riding Club & Arena
- Volunteer Campgrounds are ONLY available to registered and scheduled KJES volunteers.
- Volunteer Camping Pass is $25 per person.
- Vehicle Camping Parking Pass is $25 per vehicle. Pre-registration required!
- No walk ups. No un-registered volunteers. No refunds. No transfers. BE ORGANIZED!
- If you have a vehicle you want parked at your campsite, you MUST fill out our Vehicle Registration Form ahead of time to receive parking for your vehicle. Upon completion of the Vehicle Registration Form you will be able to purchase your Volunteer Camping & Parking pass.
- If you don’t need a vehicle at your campsite, select that option in your Volunteer Application Form and you will be able to purchase your Volunteer Camping pass. PLEASE NOTE: Parking on Arena Road is NOT PERMITTED and any volunteers parking illegally WILL BE TOWED.
- All passengers in a Registered Volunteer vehicle must have their own Volunteer Camping Pass. Vehicles with un-registered/un-paid Volunteers will not be allowed to access the Volunteer Campground.
- Patrons that are not registered to volunteer MUST camp elsewhere. The Riding Club/Arena is Volunteer Camping ONLY.
- No dogs/No glass/No fires permitted at Kaslo Riding Club/Arena Volunteer Campground. Quiet time is 12am and is strictly enforced for everyone’s safety and enjoyment! No in & outs, vehicles must stay in the campground until you are leaving (exceptions made for emergencies and special needs). All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- There will be nightly Security and 24/7 First Aid at the Volunteer Campground.
- Complimentary Volunteer Shuttle van included. The Vollie Van will be on-call to go between the festival site and Volunteer Campground all weekend long. Ask at the Bee Hive for more info.
- Please see our Camping FAQ Page for more information on general camping guidelines and what to bring/not to bring.
Become a member! We require you to become a member of the Kaslo Jazz Etc. Society in order to volunteer. This means you can volunteer and also vote in our annual AGM! Pay your membership here
Dress Smart! Please bring sunscreen, water, hat, rain gear and proper clothing for the weather and according to your position. This festival is in the mountains! Be prepared!
From Sunday July 28 until Tuesday August 6, you will receive one (1) voucher per shift redeemable at the Jazzlo Burger stand. This voucher is good for one Vollie Burger, or $5 off a menu burger. There will be a Gluten Free lettuce bun & Veggie Burger available. Restricted times: no Vollie Burgers between 12:00 – 1:30pm / 4:30 – 6:00pm. Please plan ahead!
If you are a first-time KJES volunteer – thanks for your interest! A refundable $200 deposit is required for your first year. Upon completion of your scheduled Volunteer shifts, $190 of your deposit will be refunded. $10 is kept as an administrative fee. Deposits will be refunded 2 weeks after the festival. There are no refunds for the Volunteer Deposit BEFORE the festival under any circumstances. Cancelling your application or failing to complete your Volunteer shifts will result in loss of your entire deposit and you will not be eligible to volunteer for KJES in the future. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Deposits are accepted online here: 2019 Volunteer Deposit
You must be 16 years of age or older to apply for the KJES Volunteer team
Once you have paid for your Volunteer Camping Pass you will be put onto our Will Call List for Volunteer Camping. No tickets will be sent to you. Please present your name and ID at the Riding Club gate when you arrive to match the name on our list. No refunds or exchanges.
The safety of all people & property at the KJES is the top priority. KJES crew and volunteers are responsible for their safety, the safety of their fellow team members and all attendees. Any injury or accident must be reported directly to a KJES Supervisor and First Aid immediately.
DRUGS AND ALCOHOL
The use, possession, sale, transfer, purchase or being under the influence of illegal drugs is NOT tolerated. Volunteers represent the festival and as such, are required to be sober, alert, and not use or be under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol before or during their shifts.
VOLUNTEER CREW TEAMS
SITE & OPERATIONS TEAM
Members of this team should be active and ready to work on their feet. Tasks and Responsibilities include caring for the cleanliness and sanitation of the site, grounds maintenance, vendor assistance, directing vehicles, and ice sales.
- Green Team
- Ice Sales
CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM
Members of this team should be outgoing and ready to interact with festival guests! Experience in retail or customer service is an asset. Tasks and responsibilities include greeting guests, assisting patrons, monitoring Festival areas, and selling merchandise.
- Festival Hosts
- Merchandise Sales
BEER GARDEN TEAM
Members of this team must be equipped with a valid Serving it Right Certification. Experience in the Hospitality industry or Liquor sales is an asset. Tasks and responsibilities include proper beverage service in coherence with BC Liquor laws, maintain stock for Beer Garden and beer ticket sales.
- Beer ticket sales
- Bar back
- Alcohol Service
- Beer Garden Safety
TICKETS & ADMIN
Crew members with administration and management skills are needed to oversee and execute various aspects of the festival. Members of this team are required to have strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Cash handling experience is an asset for this team. Tasks and responsibilities include, checking tickets, affixing wristbands, selling tickets, checking in volunteers and selling memberships.
- Main Gate
- Ticket Sales
- Volunteer Head Quarters
- Festival Head Quarters
Members of this team are responsible for the Hospitality around Kaslo Jazz Etc Festival site. Previous experience within Festival Hospitality is required. Tasks include maintaining backstage areas, bartending, food service and presentation, artist transportation and accommodating talent needs.
FIRST AID TEAM
Members on this team are responsible for the Health and well being of all festival patrons, staff and artists. Previous First Aid experience and qualifications are required for this team.
SET UP & STRIKE TEAM
Members of this team are responsible for all aspects of site set up and tear down. This crew will erect and disassemble the stages, work areas, install fencing, signage, site infrastructure and other general site preparation. Could require heavy lifting and some physical labor. Skills such as carpentry, electrical, and plumbing are preferred. Kaslo locals will be given preference to this team.
Members of this team are responsible for the operation and maintenance of South Beach Campground.
- Gate Control
- Tickets/Will Call
- First Aid
- Ice Sales
- Sanitation/ Maintenance
- Clean Up
MEMBERSHIP AND DEPOSIT DUE WITH APPLICATION