KJES Guiding Principles
The Kaslo Jazz Etc Society (KJES) supports of the following guiding principles as high-level direction to the governance and management of the organization. These guiding principles inform and shape decision-making and assist in the attainment of the vision, purposes, mission, goals, and objectives. They are organized under three main categories – the festival, the people and the organization. The KJES will strive to promote their application by everyone who is involved with the organization.
- The annual festival is part of the fabric of life in Kaslo. It creates a shared experience and builds community beyond normal boundaries.
- The annual festival is a beacon of culture and a spark plug for cultural tourism in Kaslo and the surrounding region.
- In our music programming, we seek to offer a range of music while respecting the tradition behind the art of jazz, building an acceptance of diversity and bridging genres.
- Contributing to the economic diversity of Kaslo through presentation of quality cultural experiences which is a priority for the KJES.
- Sensitivity to the impact of the festival on the community and the Village infrastructure is part of our planning.
- We take pride in the aesthetics of our festival setting – “Big mountains, small village, floating stage”.
- Festival operations respect the Kaslo Bay environment and waste reduction strategies are fully implemented.
- Having fun is a core value and we encourage it in all we do.
- KJES provides opportunities for education of audiences, development of youth talent and growth of performance capacity for musicians.
- Affordable and family accessible events where the atmosphere is intimate and relaxed. Festival patrons, who attend as kids, potentially become future teen then adult audiences.
- KJES produces events where people can experience a range of music and performance that embraces new, unique and exceptional artists.
- Regional and local talent have an opportunity for growth in performance and music development.
- It is important to continually develop new audiences and at the same time understand the profile and interests of the people who have attended the festival.
- Volunteers have clear expectations of their role and a sense of belonging to a team. Their contributions are appreciated and acknowledged.
- Professionally managed events with quality acts are essential for the sustainability of the organization.
- KJES foundational statements, strategic priorities, and policy directives will inform operational plans and guide management of the KJES.
- The administration and management of the KJES will be conducted in a professional manner and will fulfill all legal requirements and expectations.
- Local purchasing is encouraged to facilitate the growth of local businesses and community support.
- We are leaders in the development of a sense of cooperation with local and regional businesses, governments and residents.
- Fairness, inclusion, and respectful attitudes guide our actions.
- KJES strives to be a model for rural/remote non-profit organization that is professionally run and is an available resource to support other organizations and community events.